Total Pageviews

Monday, February 28, 2011

Exploring

I was looking around all the news and animal activist websites brainstorming about what my new post would be about and I came across this.....
I was thinking back to the glorious days of watching Food, Inc., specifically watching the farmers that work for the big chicken companies talk about their farms. Tyson brand chicken popped up in my mind, and I thought I would go check out their website. A link to the "Supplier Code of Conduct" caught my eye. I clicked and began to read...
"We have a long-standing commitment to the well-being and proper handling of the animals used in our food products. We expect our supply partners to use humane procedures and sound animal husbandry practices designed to prevent the mistreatment of animals."
Hmmmmm...well that doesn't sound like what we saw!

I then remembered Perdue chicken, and headed over to their website. I found the portion of their page dedicated to stating the beliefs and commitments of their company...
"Our poultry welfare program combines principles from the National Chicken Council and our own 'Best Practices' to create scientifically sound, standards for the humane treatment of poultry."
Does anyone else find this statement ambiguous? I wonder what "Best Practices" means....Also, does the name Carole Morison ring a bell? She's the women that worked for Perdue and showed her chicken houses.
Rewatch the footage here.

Please think about these statements and the interviews we saw.
"Chicken"
Peter Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment