Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Quiet Applause for Wendy's

I posted before about the animal welfare policies that I found on Tyson's and Perdue's websites. Well, I just happened upon the portion of Wendy's website on animal treatment. I was shocked! There were pages and pages of extensive, detailed information on their animal-handling practices. The page included what seemed to be honest percentages and exact descriptions ("Flocks of breeder and broiler chickens must be permitted freedom of movement throughout the entire house, while being protected from harm.") of what their goals and current practices are. Tyson's and Perdue's websites had two or three paragraphs on their beliefs and practices, and their cheif purpose is selling chicken. Go Wendy's for taking initiative and putting it out there! But wait. Thought Wendy's has taken a step toward doing the right thing, they are still participating in common industry practices. Only a very small percent of the animals they buy are "cage-free," and they do agree with the practice of Controlled Atmosphere Stunning (CAS) for chickens, thought not for all animals. Read the article for more.

2 comments:

  1. It's almost like the industry is getting the message that they should cover their rear ends! Mr. Bill said he just saw a commercial with Mr. Purdue walking around some chickens to introduce their new line. I don't know if it's organic (highly doubt), but it's some sort of response to the demand for more humane treatment. I'm looking for it on my favorite networks. Let me know if you see it. Thanks, Kafrin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mrs. Collier, but I will accept any progress with much joy! Cheers to Wendy's for leading the way!!! At least our voices are being heard.
    -Taylor Glenn

    ReplyDelete